Benefits advice

Below you will find some self help materials around the subject of benefits advice. If you can't find what you are looking for here, then ACFA members can give advice on a wide range of benefits - to find your nearest agency, use the search function to the right of this page.

Member organisations will be able to help you with:

  • Employment Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Universal Credit (UC)
  • Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
  • Pension & Tax Credits
  • Housing Benefit & Council Tax Benefit
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

The advice offered covers: what you are entitled to claim, how to claim, difficulties in claiming, help with appeals and a few agencies offer representation at tribunals.

Universal Credit

As well as the useful video from ACFA member, WRAMAS, (above), there is a checklist designed by Bristol City Council for you to complete prior to making a claim to (hopefully) make the process more straightforward

Download the Checklist

Benefit & Tax Credit Overview

Losing track of the frequent changes to the benefit system? Easy access to current benefit and tax credit rates. 

Download the Rightsnet Benefit Rates Poster

Download the National Association of Welfare Rights Adviser’s Welfare Benefit Changes Chart (October 2014). It itemises changes since 2011 and future changes planned up to 2018. The chart includes details of each change, providing analysis and an assessment of the likely impact.

Personal Independence Payment

This factsheet, produced by Child Poverty Action Group, contains all you need to know about Personal Independence Payment (PIP) - the benefit that started to replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for working age claimants from April 2013. Read it here.

Employment and Support Allowance

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) is a benefit paid by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to people who are too sick or disabled to work and who meet certain conditions. This factsheet, produced by Citizens Advice, explains whether you are eligible and, if so, how to claim it.

Go To Top