Immigration advice

Cuts to legal aid and statutory bodies have meant that it is increasingly difficult to find immigration advice. At the same time, immigration rules in the UK are strict with time limits on many applications, leaving people vulnerable to extortionate fees for poor quality advice, putting their applications in jeopardy. Use the search function to the right of this page, to find an ACFA member organisation near you that may be able to help.

Independent advice is available on all aspects of immigration and asylum law including:

  • Asylum applications
  • Family visa applications
  • Extensions of leave to remain
  • Student and visitor visas
  • Applications for citizenship
  • Nationality issues.

How do I become a British Citizen or get a British passport?

If you have indefinite leave to remain, or you are an EEA National with permanent residence or right of abode and you wish to become a British Citizen, the most common route is to apply for naturalisation.

To do this you must:

  • have lived lawfully in the UK for most of the last 5 years (or 3 years if you are married to a British citizen on date of application). 
  • have been free from restrictions on the period for which you may remain in the UK for at least the last 12 months. 
  • be of good character
  • have sufficient knowledge of the English language and knowledge about life in the UK.

More information can be found here.

Benefits for New Refugees

This factsheet, produced by Child Poverty Action Group, is for people who have been granted refugee status, indefinite leave to remain, humanitarian protection or discretionary leave; it tells you what benefits you may be able to claim and what to do if you are having problems getting paid. Read it here.

Go To Top